See other items in this category:
Rules of Eligibility
All performers in each group must be currently enrolled as a student in that institution. However, junior high vocal groups may use high school students or adults in their rhythm section.
Vocal Jazz Ensembles
- Vocal jazz ensembles will be allowed a minimum of 10 singers and a maximum of 30 singers (a maximum of 18 singers in CPM) and six instrumentalists on any one chart and should perform jazz, not rock.
- Additional percussion instruments used in an incidental manner will not be counted in the six-instrument allotment.
- Junior high vocal groups may perform at a high school level for critique only.
Vocal Solo Division
- Vocal Solo Division will be allowed 18 minutes, which includes adjudication time.
- Soloists should perform two contrasting pieces.
- It is recommended that a soloist have a rhythm section including piano, bass and drums but it is not required.
Instrumental Jazz Ensembles
- Instrumental jazz ensembles must have a minimum of 10 performers and no more than 25 performers on stage during any one chart.
- Second groups and non-mixed vocal ensembles may compete in a lower division, only if their #1 group is competing in their regular division.
- Personnel cannot be repeated in #1 and #2 groups on the same instrument.
- Rhythm sections may be used more than once to accompany vocal ensembles.
Violators of the above rules will be disqualified from competition. Any group may move up a division for competition.